Sunday, October 15, 2006

frustration r' us

We took Ben to Toys R' Us today to spend one of the gift certificates he got. He doesn't really need anything, but it was rainy and we wanted to get out of the house, and we really wanted an excuse to go to Fontana because it is always so pleasant there in sunny Fontana, birthplace of Kaiser Steel and the Hell's Angels. Anyway, I never really went to Toys R' Us as a kid, and when I was there a couple of weeks ago, I realized that it is pretty damn awesome if you are a kid, except for the fact that the store is divided in two, with one half consisting of purple and pink vacuums and kitchens and the other half consisting of blue and red action figures and cars. That's sort of creepy. Anyway, I thought Ben was going to have a great time. After stepping through the door, Ben looked worried and hesitant at all of the toys and kids. But moments later, he realized the possibilities in store for him, and he leapt out of my arms and ran right for...the crayons and markers. There were lots of cool things, but he wanted crayons and markers, just as he always does. Anyway, I thought he would be content to look at all of the stuff, but instead he wanted me to open everything. I tried to explain to him that he couldn't have everything he wanted, that I couldn't open every toy, that Toys R' Us is a place to browse and select, but Benjamin was just coming off the high of opening toy after toy at his birthday party, and this was an idea he couldn't comprehend. He conveyed this to me by going limp, turning red, and writhing on the floor. Before we left, he found a dirty yellow gumball on the floor, clutched it in his fist, and ran away from Ryan. We got it out of his hand before he licked it. Ahhhh...it was just how I imagined it would be.

No comments: