Friday, May 06, 2011

eloquence

I go to this site called The Daily What, usually to distract myself and watch dumb videos about cats or Japanese inventions or whatever. Alongside these videos, there are interesting political stories and gossip about celebrities. It's a nice mix of inane and intriguing. In any case, I came across a link to this man Derek's final blog. He wrote it before he died after a long battle with cancer, to be posted upon his death. He left behind two daughters and a wife.

If you can, take a minute to read it. It is beautiful. Elliott walked in when I was reading this, and he looked at me and I was crying. He laughed because he has never seen me crying, and because he doesn't fully understand what sad means yet. I just hugged him and he squirmed away. A lot of the time, I am too closed off from people. I'm able to get a lot of stuff done, and I'm able to survive some of the crappy stuff I've been through, but it comes at a cost. I admire Derick's eloquence and openness. I will return to his blog and make my way through his posts because it affected me on such a deep level, especially his final lines to his wife:

"I don't know what we'd have been like without each other, but I think the world would be a poorer place. I loved you deeply, I loved you, I loved you, I loved you."

Here's the link to the full post: http://www.penmachine.com/

1 comment:

Lauren Lanning said...

Wow, so beautiful. Thanks for posting that, Ang.