Monday, January 24, 2005

may god bless you, little grace

I was minding my own business, looking for coupons for Total cereal and Purell hand sanitizer in the Sunday paper that comes to my house thanks to whoever lived in this apartment before I did when all of a sudden, I came across the following advertisement (see photo below). It is a fifteen and one half inches life like premature baby doll wearing a miniature disposable diaper and an ankle bracelet. "So Truly Real," the ad says, "...Grace's RealTouch vinyl skin holds all the realistic folds and creases." Does anyone else think this is a little creepy? I tried to rationalize that some people might want to buy a $129.99 doll for their child, but then, in tiny print in the corner I saw the following statement: "This doll is not a toy; she is a fine collectible to be enjoyed by adult collectors." Who is the market for baby Grace? I can only picture an old woman who never had children with warts on her face and frizzy gray hair stroking Grace's vinyl skin in the dark, surrounded by seventy-two cats licking their own feces. "Baby Grace," she coos, "Baby Grace. My little baby girl." This doll should be illegal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alright - I'm 3 years late here, but I just saw an ad for this little doll in an old magazine that I had squirreled away - OMG! I can't believe such a doll exists! Glad that there was someone else out there that felt this way.