Thursday, May 05, 2005

unless you're from boston...

THERE'S NO "R" IN BENJAMIN'S NAME! It's Ben-JA-min, not Ben-JER-min. This is the last you'll hear from me tonight, but today someone asked me if he was pottytrained yet and whether or not he walks. He just turned seven months old! Give the kid some slack! Yesterday, the lady who called him BenJERmin said, in a baby voice, "I need a bib, Mom" because he was drooling. Instead of being a man about it and saying it directly, she said it from Ben's perspective, which both Ben and I found insulting. Later, Ben reassured me that in fact he did not need a bib. The same day, in the parking lot of Target after Ben had just finished ripping his sunglasses from his face, a lady said, "Where's his sunglasses?" Listen, lady, I tried, but he ripped them from his face. He was wearing sunscreen though, with citronella in it to battle the bugs. Doesn't that count for anything? And, you, the guy in Vons who told me to "take good care of him": back off, buddy; he's in good hands. Do I have a sign on my back that says WANTED: UNSOLICITED ADVICE?! When Ryan pushes the baby anywhere in the stroller, people think he is amazing because he is having something, anything to do with his son. But me, I forget the bib, and everyone notices. What's wrong with this world?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get used to it. Our oldest son came along when we lived near, then on, campus. All the mailboxes were in one building, so walking over became a great social event.
When Husband/Daddy walked down the hill, pretty girl co-eds stopped and flirted and dropped to their knees to coo at the baby. He said a baby is a chick magnet and there were even a couple times he wished he could say that the boy was "borrowed", like he is the uncle or something.
When Missus/Mommy had the kid in tow, college students skittered off the sidewalk to avoid us.
One guy even left a door close on my hand, which was better than the baby's hand.
You're saying that gender/parent impression hasn't cleared up in the last 25 years? Sad, so sad....

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day! Here's hoping your offspring doesn't have a crabby day, and your own mothers appreciate your efforts for them.