Monday, February 21, 2011

when all of your options suck

I went to see a lawyer today and though he was telling me stuff I already kind of sort knew in the back of my head but had suppressed, it was overwhelming and I cried in his office. It was embarrassing. He told me that he was expensive. He told me that Redlands Unified is one of the most difficult districts to work with in terms of autism education. He asked me if I was attached to living here. He gave me my options:

1) Stay in Redlands and hire a lawyer for a lot of money and fight the man. This will likely be long and costly and frustrating because this IEP team is particularly undereducated and overenthusiastic.
2) Move. Go to a district that is better equipped to handle the needs of kids with autism and more likely to include him in a comprehensive program. Even if we'd need to retain a lawyer, it would be minimal. Our options? Etiwanda and Riverside.
3) Keep doing what we're doing. Knowing that Elliott isn't fully getting what he needs or is entitled to. Knowing that this district sets low expectations for kids with autism and doesn't provide those kids with comprehensive, inclusive, appropriate education. Sure, we are getting some of this for him, but I know it's not what it should be. It's been a stop-gap measure.

I don't have a lot of money. I don't have any money. I don't want to move. I don't want to have to uproot Ben and Elliott. My stomach is all tied up in knots over this.

Also, we found bed bugs in our room last night. And Ryan suffered a neck injury. And I started my period today.

Ugh. Elliott's IEP is overdue, and I don't even know what the next step should be. But I'm pretty sure those bed bugs are regretting ever meeting me. I spent a full four hours today dealing with those little bastards.

No comments: