Tuesday, March 29, 2005

ahhhhhh, springtime

Ben and I went on a walk today. The weather was lovely: it was 72 degrees, the sun was shining, there was a slight, cool breeze that made the lush, blossoming trees dance. An elegantly dressed old lady made her way towards me. She mentioned the weather and how precious Ben looked. It was all so pleasant...too pleasant. As I rounded Cajon St., all of a sudden a butterfly came flying straight at my head. I am terrified of insects. I was not one of those kids who caught lady bugs and let them creep over my fingers. I didn’t catch caterpillars and keep them as pets. I dodged this mariposa only to see another careening towards my head. Then another, then another. There were tens of them floating through the sky, like locusts on the Ten Commandments. My first instinct was to let go of the stroller and run the other direction, so I reminded myself that my firstborn was strapped in, and I gripped the handles tighter and pressed forward. The butterflies had decided to mate or riot or whatever it is they were doing, and it ruined my spring day.

No comments: